Endocrinology is a major medical discipline that studies both normal and pathologic conditions of internal secretion organs. Specific secretions of endocrine glands are known as hormones. They are discharged directly to the human blood flow and regulate general body condition and function of each particular organ. Endocrine glands of the body:
- thyroid and parathyroid gland;
- adrenal gland;
- male testicles and female ovaries,
- pituitary gland.
In addition to the glands hormones can be produced by the brain, liver and heart.
The main goals of endocrinology are determination of glands functioning principles, identification of causes of glands diseases and their symptoms, searching for methods of treatment and prevention of pathologies.
Symptoms of endocrine system disorders:
There are a number of symptoms representing the reason to visit an endocrinologist:
- abrupt weight change without obvious reason (increase or decrease);
- frequent bone fractures and other injuries;
- difficulty swallowing, chest tightness;
- trembling fingers, heart arrhythmia, continuous tear secretion, face swelling;
- abrupt vision changes;
- discharges from mammary glands, menstrual cycle abnormalities, miscarriage at the end of pregnancy;
- often headache with memory disorders, drowsiness, general weakness;
- abrupt hair loss or, on the contrary, excessive growth;
- blood pressure surges which are impossible to control using medications.
Treatment methods used in endocrinology:
In most cases treatment involves surgery, medications or physiotherapy.
Surgical methods include complex surgeries performed on the pituitary gland, thyroid gland, adrenal glands, pancreas, mammary glands, sex glands. MEN is also successfully treated using surgical methods.
Pharmacological therapy is carried out using chemically synthesized and natural medications (medicinal herbs, homeopathic medicines, etc.).
Physiotherapy involves such modern technologies as UV and laser blood irradiation, magnet therapy, interstitial electrophoresis, resonance EHF-therapy. Comprehensive approach to disease treatment and prevention includes therapeutic physical training, special massage, diets, pelotherapy, hydrotherapy.